Opting out of Assessments
Schools that receives Title I, Part A funds must notify the parents of each student attending any school receiving these funds that the parents may request, and the LEA will provide the parents on request (and in a timely manner), information regarding any State or LEA policy regarding student participation in any required assessments, which shall include a policy, procedure, or parental right to opt the child out of such assessment, where applicable. The District's assessment policy can be found here.
Parental opt-out form: Click here to download form
State and federal law require districts to take standardized assessments in the instructional areas of English Language Arts (ELA), math and science. State law also requires students to take standardized assessments in the instructional are of social studies. Accordingly, the district shall administer standardized assessments pursuant to these state and federal legal requirements.
Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS)
- English Language Arts for grades 3-8
- Math for grades 3-8
- Science for grades 5, 8 and 11
- Social Studies will not be administered to any students in 2017-2018
- PSAT for 9th and 10th grade students
- SAT for 11th grade students
- The amount of time students will spend taking the assessment, and the schedule for the assessment; and
- The time and format for disseminating results
The timeline for disseminating results is dependent on the vendor's process for evaluating the results. Typically assessment results are released the following July after the test, and individual results can be accessed the following Fall.
Benchmark assessments are common assessments given periodically throughout the school year, at specified times. The assessments evaluate students' knowledge and skills relative to state and national standards. Benchmark assessments are used to inform instructional planning and differentiated instructional support for students.
Our district provides Benchmark Assessments in the following subjects and grade levels:
- Early literacy skills for grades kindergarten and first grade
- Reading fluency for grades first through sixth
- Reading comprehension for grades third through tenth
- Mathematical skills for grades third through tenth
- English language usage for grades seven through ten
- Scientific investigations for grades seven through ten
- Writing composition skills for grades kindergarten through twelve