Moffat Consolidated School District #2
Policy Type:GOVERNANCE PROCESS
Policy Number: GP- 3 (addendum)
Policy Title: BOARD JOB DESCRIPTION
Handling operational issues raised by a community member:
- Listen without implying that you agree or disagree.
- Ask whether the caller has talked to the person closest to the problem. Describe the chain of command concept—that issues are best resolved at a level closest to the people involved.
- Take the opportunity to explain the board’s role.
- The board’s job is to set the vision and policies that will enable district students to be academically successful.
- While resolution of operational issues is not the board’s job, the board is concerned and wants to see the issue resolved successfully.
- Tell the caller that if he or she doesn’t get satisfaction to call back ( or direct the caller to let you know what happens regardless).
- If the call raises a high level of concern, call the superintendent.
- The superintendent will tell the board member that he/she knows about the situation and if necessary, will investigate to get more information.
- After gathering information, the superintendent will inform the board member about what was learned or what action was taken.
Monitoring Method: Internal
Monitoring Frequency: March, September
Adopted: October 14, 2003