Colorado Model Content Standards
Kindergarten Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Kindergarten students will:
· sing unaccompanied, accompanied, and in unison (S1)
· maintain a steady beat (S1)
· respond through movement to high and low sounds (S1, S4)
· respond through movement to fast and slow tempo (S1, S4)
· respond through movement to loud and soft dynamics (S1, S4)
· sing, play, and move to music from different traditions and cultures (S1, S4, S5)
· use symbols or icons to illustrate beat and sound/silence (S2)
· select appropriate sounds to accompany ideas, stories, and songs (S3)
· respond verbally using same or different when given two pitches, an interval of a third or larger (S4)
· identify musical examples as vocal sounds, instrumental sounds, and/or environmental sounds (S4)
· demonstrate an awareness of environmental sounds by verbalizing the sounds heard in the world around them (S4)
· demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)