Colorado Model Content Standards
9th to 12th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Ninth through Twelfth grade students will:
· play and/or sing an expanded repertoire that includes appropriate technical accuracy, sensitivity to balance and blend, and responsiveness to the gestures of a conductor (S1)
· perform augmented or diminished triads, starting on any given pitch (S1, S2)
· understand and demonstrate proper use of appropriate musical symbols and terminology (S1, S2)
· choose an area of music for independent exploration that can include:
1. a writing project on a composer, musician, musical style, or historical period (S4, S5)
2. a composed and recorded composition with printed score (S2, S3)
3. selecting and performing solo or ensemble music (S1)
· write and perform four or more measures for voice or instrument in a given form or style (S1, S2, S3, S4, S5)
· describe and perform patterns of intervallic structure in major, minor, chromatic, and blues scales (S1, S4)
· perform, describe the function of, and determine how to select the most effective tempo (S1, S4)
· listen to tones of the same pitch, duration, and intensity produced by individual voices within the performance group, then analyze and discuss the similarities and differences (S1, S4)
· develop appropriate rehearsal and performance skills and behaviors (S1, S5)
· demonstrate ability to read and write more complex rhythmic and melodic notation in varied meters, using traditional and/or current music technology skills (S2)
· study, contrast, and compare compositional techniques involving timbre, texture, and dynamics, resulting in particular expressive purposes (S2, S4, S5)
· demonstrate vocal and/or instrumental improvisation by combining rhythm, melody, and/or ostinato bass (S3)
· improvise a vocal or instrumental solo over a given pattern of harmonic progressions (S3)
· improvise rhythmic, melodic, and/or harmonic variations which are stylistically appropriate (S3, S4, S5)
· compare two or more interpretations of the same piece of music and discuss the similarities and/or differences (S4)
· identify examples of music composed in a variety of forms and styles (S4, S5)
· use appropriate musical vocabulary which identifies the elements reflected by an historical period of music (S4, S5)
· participate in cultural activities in an appropriate manner (S5)