Colorado Model Content Standards
8th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Eighth grade students will:
· sing or play, in two or more parts, with musical accuracy (S1)
· identify appropriate key signatures in the music performed (S1, S2)
· read, notate, and perform rhythmic and melodic patterns adding dotted rhythms, mixed meter, chromatics, and other key signatures to those already learned (S1, S2)
· organize, notate, and perform a rhythmic composition which accurately conforms to the natural stress of a prose selection (S1, S2, S3)
· sing or play syncopation in folk, classical or jazz music (S1, S2, S4)
· read notes in the appropriate clef for the instrument being played (S2)
· listen to selected music with varied instrumentation and voicing, and discuss textures and timbres (S4)
· listen to a musical selection and explain how the composer used specific musical elements (S4, S5)
· discuss the music from a live performance, film or video performance as it relates to today’s youth culture (S4, S5)
· discuss audience behavior and listening criteria for a live performance (S5)