Colorado Model Content Standards
7th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Seventh grade students will:
· sing in two-part harmony (S1)
· sing or play the home tone (tonic) and locate it on the staff of a musical example in any major key (S1, S2)
· read, notate, and perform all previously learned rhythmic patterns in a variety of meters (S1, S2, S3)
· create and play or sing a two-measure ending to a musical composition and explain why the notes and rhythms were selected (S1, S2, S3, S4)
· read notes in the appropriate clef for the instrument being played (S2)
· recognize that instruments and voices can be combined to create different textures and timbres (S4)
· identify the style and form of a piece performed or heard in class, and describe it using musical terms (S4)
· listen to a musical selection and study one element in depth (S4, S5)
· identify how a composer used syncopation to create rhythmic excitement in a musical piece (S4, S5)
· list expectations for audience behavior at a concert (S5)