Colorado Model Content Standards
6th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Sixth grade students will:
· sing and play an individual part against a contrasting part (S1)
· read, notate, and perform rhythmic patterns, adding sixteenth-eighth note combinations and sixteenth rests to the notes already learned (S1, S2)
· organize tones on bells or a keyboard instrument in major, minor, chromatic, and pentatonic scale patterns (S1, S3)
· identify and respond to all directional words and symbols, including tempo (S1, S4)
· discuss the role of the conductor (S1, S4)
· create an original composition within a given framework (S3)
· differentiate between a steady beat and a syncopated beat (S4)
· develop criteria for evaluating the quality of performances (S4)
· compare and contrast the use of percussion instruments in varied ethnic cultures (S4, S5)
· analyze and contrast the use of form in music from varied world cultures (S4, S5)
· demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)