Colorado Model Content Standards
5th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Fifth grade students will:
· sing three-part rounds, partner songs, and descants (S1)
· demonstrate an awareness of the phrase by singing and playing each as a complete thought (S1)
· play chords or chord roots to accompany a three-chord song as accompaniment to classroom singing (S1)
· respond to conductor’s cues for tempo changes (S1)
· read, notate, and perform rhythmic and melodic patterns adding the four-sixteenth note pattern to the notes already learned (S1, S2)
· identify time signatures in music performed (S1, S2)
· identify and perform a notated melody using treble clef notes (S1, S2)
· identify and respond to directional words and symbols for form and dynamics (S1, S4)
· create an original sound composition and, using visuals, illustrate it (S2, S3)
· determine if music is organized using major, minor, chromatic, or pentatonic scales (S4)
· describe the feelings experienced when listening to a musical selection and explain the musical elements which support those feelings (S4)
· compare the music and culture of two different historical periods (S4, S5)
· identify the ways different instruments are combined to create various performance ensembles (S4, S5)
· demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)