Colorado Model Content Standards
4th Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Fourth grade students will:
· sing and play instruments with acceptable tone quality and proper posture, songs in an age-appropriate range (S1)
· sing their part in two-part rounds (S1)
· watch a conductor (S1)
· respond to conductor’s cues for expressive elements (S1)
· read, notate, and perform rhythmic patterns using quarter notes, quarter rests, eighth notes, eighth rests, half notes, half rests, whole notes, whole rests, and dotted half notes (S1, S2)
· notate and perform a two-measure pattern when given a dictated rhythmic pattern in duple and triple meter (S1, S2)
· create, notate, and perform an original eight-measure composition for a melodic instrument (S1, S2, S3)
· demonstrate the use of introduction, interlude, and coda (S1, S4)
· name the notes of a musical example using letters, syllables, and/or numbers (S2)
· demonstrate how meter effects beat by inserting bar lines into a notated musical example (S2)
· match the sound of instruments, played alone or with simple accompaniments, with the picture of the instrument and the name and family of the instrument (S4)
· distinguish the principal theme in theme and variation form and compare the variations as a contrast to the theme (S4)
· recognize and name the different vocal classifications when given a recorded or liveexample of two-part or four-part vocal music (S4)
· be familiar with ethnic instruments that are representative of various culture (S5)
· demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)