Colorado Model Content Standards
3rd Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
Third grade students will:
· sing and play instruments with acceptable tone quality and proper posture, songs in an age-appropriate range (S1)
· sing and play a melodic ostinato (S1)
· play two-chord songs on chording instruments as accompaniments to classroom singing (S1)
· watch the conductor (S1)
· read, notate, and perform rhythmic patterns using quarter notes, paired eighth notes, quarter rests, half notes, half rests, whole notes, and whole rests (S1, S2)
· demonstrate the ability to follow and perform a notated rhythmic pattern (S1, S2)
· demonstrate through movement the return of the A section in rondo form (S1, S4)
· sing, play, and move to music from different traditions and cultures (S1, S4, S5)
· create a short composition that shows contrasts in tempo, dynamics or timbre (S3)
· sort instruments into families, using pictures of instruments from varied cultures (S4, S5)
· listen and respond to the music and the life of a composer and/or musical performer (S4, S5)
· demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)