Colorado Model Content Standards
1st Grade Level Expectations
Standard 1: Students sing or play on instruments a varied repertoire of music, alone or with others.
Standard 2: Students will read and notate music.
Standard 3: Students will create music.
Standard 4: Students will listen to, analyze, evaluate, and describe music.
Standard 5: Students will relate music to various historical and cultural traditions.
First grade students will:
● sing and play instruments with acceptable tone quality and proper posture, songs in an
age-appropriate range (S1)
● watch the conductor (S1)
● read and perform rhythmic patterns using quarter notes, paired eighth notes, and quarter rests (S1, S2)
●create rhythm patterns for introductions and ostinato accompaniments to familiar
songs (S1, S3)
● identify, through movement, simple two-part form (S1, S4)
● respond to duple meter through movement and by using iconic symbols (S1, S2, S4)
●sing, play, and move to music from different traditions and cultures (S1, S4, S5)
● improvise simple melodic and rhythmic patterns using vocal sounds, body percussion,
movement, and instrument sounds (S3)
● categorize selected classroom instruments by how sound is produced (S4)
● listen to a repertoire of musical examples that represent varied cultures, styles, and
historical periods (S4, S5)
● listen to books and stories about composers, music, and sound (S4, S5)
● know that a composer is someone who writes music (S5)
● demonstrate appropriate audience behavior (S5)